PDA

View Full Version : Evergreen turning brown beside Peach tree

SnowDrift
10-31-2004, 10:38 AM
Hi there. I am new to this forum today. Thank you for having such a place!

I am having trouble with a nice size evergreen tree in my yard. I am not in a wooded area, but I do live in central Ohio. The tree I am having trouble with is a long, coarse needle evergreen. It's the type that doesn't grow very thick and has large, hard pine cones. Please, forgive my terrible description. The past year or two, it has been getting more and more brown spots on it. It, basically, looks to be dying. It is planted right beside a peach tree. Both of which have been there for many years. The peach tree is about 12 feet tall and the evergreen is about 20'+.

Both trees are crowding each other, so one has to come down. I didn't want to lose the evergreen tree because it allows some privacy, however, if it has reached the end of its life, then I'll cut it and save the peach tree.

I had heard that a fruit tree should not be planted near an evergreen tree. Is this a myth, or is there truth to this? Can anyone offer advice?

Thank you,
Ryan

Toronado3800
11-01-2004, 09:35 AM
If its getting worse then the evergreen must not like something in its environment. I alwasy think about a few things when I accidently kill a tree in my yard...temps...soil...sun...water....bugs/fungus.

If I can't ID a tree I look for whatever it is in my neighbors yards. If its common I then assume we all didn't plant tropical trees in zone 6.

Also, if it grows well down the street in a "normal" looking yard I assume my soil isn't different from theirs. Don't compare you tree to the ones in the garden of the month yards, those guys may have gone through lots of trouble.

I think your probably onto something with the shade. Even if the tree isn't dying, imagine decidious trees in the woods. They don't have leaves most of the way up but are healthy as a group.

Water...anything strange been happening the last couple years? I think Kansas is having a drought, too much water can cause tree problems as well.

Bugs and fungus are difficult for me to find/identify. I think thats where pro arborists earn their keep for the common man, but have you noticed anything strange?