PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Ash?

bluebooks3
10-27-2004, 05:10 PM
My mother has a tree in her yard in which someone told her was an "Arizona Ash". Does anyone know this name. The website only listed Green Ash and White Ash. Is it another name for one of these?

Thanks.

saccharum
10-27-2004, 06:07 PM
No, there really is an Arizona ash, Fraxinus velutina. Native to the southwest, as you might expect. :)

Toronado3800
10-28-2004, 05:19 AM
Is the Arizona Ash vulnerable to the Emerald Ash Borer which is spreading thoughout the northern industrial states?

I love my White Ashes and just hate the thought of this bug wiping them out.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/eab/img/img.htm

pwk16
10-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Arizona ash are vulnerable and probably shouldn't be planted where the EAB is found.

Margauritaville
11-03-2004, 10:43 PM
To be more "intense" than the previous post. Arizona ash should never be planted at all. I think that there is a special place "down there" reserved for people that grow and sell Chinese tallow and Arizona ash to unsuspecting homeowners.

Arizona ash had siginicantly more problems than green and white combined. Yes, they do grow very fast but as with most fast growers, you sacrifice strength.

I would recomend:
Take it out before it starts falling apart or...
If it is not near a house, road, garage, dog food bowl... leave it with the knowledge that it will one day start coming to pieces.