PDA

View Full Version : What can you do if a tree is destroyed?? Please Read..

treeduder03
10-19-2004, 10:27 PM
I took a walk around the community park and one of the great oak trees was spraypainted white and I was wondering what can there be done? I know some young kids are always sitting in it during the night (make lots of noise) and I've found beer bottles. What do I do?

Toronado3800
10-20-2004, 01:15 AM
treeduder, If its a county park there has to be a park manager or ranger. They're probably aware of the act but may not have a good description of the vandals. I've found e-mails and phone numbers for these employees listed in St. Louis County and thy have been quite helpful with non-police matters..

If the are is more common ground then look through the phone book for the NON EMERGENCY number to your local PD. Again, they may be familiar with the local as a highschool hangout. Then again, maybe not. Find out how they'd like you to report the juvi's if you see them in the future and I'm sure they'll enter the area for "extra patrol"

Back in the day we would have bonfires on common ground areas until some neighbor took notice of us usually after we got too loud or made too much of a mess.

For the tree experts, how do you treat a spraypainted tree? Is there a chance circling the tree with paint will kill enough cells to girdle it?

saccharum
10-20-2004, 10:17 AM
IMO, I would say that probably little damage was actually done to the tree. The outer bark itself is dead tissue (much like the outer layers of our skin), and won't be harmed too much. My main concern would be that a heavy layer of paint could smother the tissues beneath the bark, but a coating of spray paint is unlikely to be enough to cause lasting harm. Paints are sometimes used to prevent sunscald on fruit trees, although the practice is falling out of favor.

The paint will gradually flake off over time. I guess it's not quite as bad as carving your initials. It's an eyesore, though, and there's no good reason for it.

treeduder03
10-21-2004, 04:22 PM
is there any way to wash it off or clean it? what would i use?

saccharum
10-21-2004, 08:49 PM
I'm afraid that any solvent you use is likely to cause more harm than good. You could try spraying it with water, but I wouldn't blast it with a high-pressure spray.