PDA

View Full Version : Start a tree from a clipping

tim426
10-17-2004, 08:21 PM
I am preparing to move from the house that I grew up in. I am in St. Louis and will be relocating to another part of the area. I have a silver maple and 2 sugar maples in my yard that I am really going to miss. I am wondering if it is possible to take a clipping from them and grow new trees. I have NO experience with trees, other than admiring them. Does anyone have any thoughts about the chances of this actually being feasible? Thanks!

Toronado3800
10-18-2004, 12:47 AM
hort.uconn reports Silver Maples can be grown from cuttings and Sugar Maples cultivars are bud grafted.

How and when to do it I don't know. You moving over the winter Tim? From experience I know growing these trees from seed is easy enough but cross polination and the need to sneak back on your old property could be an issue.

pwk16
10-18-2004, 12:07 PM
If your silver maple is a cultivar, then I would recommend either purchasing one from a nursery (it will be genetically identical if you know the name of the cultivar). If it's a silver maple grown from seed then I would recommend getting a cultivar from a nursery. Silver maples grown from seed can produce massive amounts of seeds. They also can have very weak wood that tends to come down in even the mildest of thunderstorms. Their water-loving roots also tend to grow on top of the soil making mowing difficult. There might be improved silver maple hybrids that don't produce too many seeds. Please check with your local nursery or county extension agent.
Growing a cutting from a tree shouldn't be difficult. Simply go to your favorite search page and type in "propagation woody landscape plants tree cutting".
If you attempt to grow a tree from seed, it will be a hybrid of your silver or red maple and another unknown tree.