PDA

View Full Version : POST HURRICAN DAMAGE

mjwillis
10-15-2004, 07:35 AM
WE WERE RECENTLY HIT BY HURRICAN IVAN. SEVERAL LIVE OAKS, PECANS,CAMPHOR AND CEDAR TREES HAVE BEEN TOPPED OR HAVE ROOTS SHOWING. HOW DO I CARE FOR THESE TREES?

Quirky Quercus
10-15-2004, 12:23 PM
Sorry to hear about your damage. The thing is, like any tree problem, you're going to have to go around to each item and diagnose what the issue is with it. If you have a digital camera, you can post photos that will help someone recommend an action. One shortcut is to hire a certified arborist to do that work and get everything back to normal. Insurance companies typically don't pay for arborists unless it's emergency tree removal.

My trees all had soil blow or wash away and the roots were exposed like a potted nursery plant that was knocked over and lost half the soil. In those cases, I carefully replaced the soil making sure not to pile too much new soil there.

In cases of leaning trees, I staked them. Of course if it's a large tree that's leaning, you might think about removing it for safety concerns.

I had one small tree topped when my neighbors fence fell on it or something. It's still green but I don't know for how long. It lost half it's height. The pros are saying that large topped trees sometimes have the potential to grow multiple leaders which would be weaker than what it was and this could be a safety issue.

Then it seems like another common problem is large trees that just tip over, taking the roots, ground and sidewalk with it when it falls. These trees are not being replanted.

That's what I've found. Please use some lowercase letters so it's easier to read.