PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Redwood fall growth

Toronado3800
10-15-2004, 12:33 AM
Last year I planted an Arbor Day Dawn Redwood. Its 3-4ft tall now looking great and thanks to recent rain still growing. Is withholding water a way to get the tree to stop with the new growth and harden off for winter? Is there anything I should be doing now for it besides keeping mulch in place? I'd prefer not to build any weather barricades but do have some netting around the dripline to discourage the squirrles and rabbits.

saccharum
10-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Hey Toronado,

I wouldn't supplement the dawn redwood's water for the remainder of the season, but nor would I take any special steps to shelter it. There's still time for it to harden new shoots off, and at worst some of it may be lost if there's an early frost - which wouldn't be a big deal for the overall health of the tree.

pwk16
10-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Fall is the time of year when most trees dry out. Contrary to what most people believe, the winds in the midwest in October, November and December contain very little moisture and since people tend to roll up their garden hoses around Halloween this can be 8 weeks where your tree will receive very little, if any, moisture.
Please make sure there is adequate mulch around your tree and that the moisture levels are enough to keep the roots from freeze-drying. The current humidity where I live (Lincoln, NE) is currently 60%, which means that there is quite a bit of moisture leaving the ground.

Toronado3800
10-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the adivce! Do trees use their fall water to harden up?

Its been raining every three days right now so the fact I rolled up my hose hasn't hurt the three foot trees in my yard, yet.

Are you saying the water in the soil/trees still evaporates this time of year and I should keep finger testing the soil? Or that it evaporates faster than in the summer so I darned well better keep up the watering? From my time hotrodding it seemed to me the pavement holds water incredibly long this year. Finger testing the soil seems to agree my pavemnet theory.