PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut Trees

Madmike09030
10-12-2004, 06:45 PM
How old do Black Walnut Trees need to be before they start dropping walnuts? I am going to plant a forest of oak trees, Black walnut trees, and hickory trees. I was just wondering how long it would take before these trees start dropping nuts.

pwk16
10-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Nut trees such as oak, walnut, hickory, heartnut, butternut, and chestnut trees can take anywhere from 8-16 years to produce nuts. This, of course, depends on the tree cultivar, the soil, the site, the climate, and many other factors.
Your county extension office should be able to assist you with establishing a nut orchard.

Madmike09030
10-13-2004, 02:52 PM
I dont know if the county extension office will help me because I'm not really growing an orchard I just want more squirrels in my back yard. But they might do you know how I can get ahold of them. Or should I just use a phone book or something.

pwk16
10-13-2004, 03:35 PM
The County Extension Office is a tax-supported governmental office and they usually have a phone number posted in the government pages of the local phone book. The assist farmers, homeowners, acreage owners, and and anyone else that needs assistance.
If you're only trying to feed wildlife then you can plant shrubs, trees, annuals, and flowers that can provide food and shelter much sooner.

Junipers, crabapples, viburnum, hawthorns, grape vines, apples, pears, plums, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, mayhaws, high-bush cranberries, dogwoods, elderberries, gooseberries, lingonberries, mulberries, hardy kiwi, strawberries, persimmons, and sunflowers are just a few suggestions.

We don't sell many of these, but if you type whatever you want to buy plus the word "nursery" into any search engine, you're sure to find a good supplier out there.

Madmike09030
10-13-2004, 03:55 PM
now are you trying to say that the county extention office will give me government grants if I need it to get an orchard started kind of like a small business grant?

pwk16
10-13-2004, 04:00 PM
They can assist you with knowledge of insects, diseases, planting, and even ordering trees and shrubs, but they don't offer financial assistance, as far as I know.

Toronado3800
10-13-2004, 11:26 PM
My "urban forrester" has been helpful. Naturally their professional opinion differes from some others but everything he said seemed reasonably thought out.