Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/arborday/public_html/archive/index.php(545) : eval()'d code on line 2
Types Of Maples [Archive] - Arbor Day Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Types Of Maples

kt2004
10-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Hello,

I would like to plant some maples in my backyard. The problem is I have a relatively small
yard, approximately 40' W x 60' L. I've seen different types of maples along the streets
and in various neighborhoods, but am not too familar with their names and characteristics.

Ideally, I would like to find something that will tend to grow vertically like a column shape and offer vibrant colors in the fall. Any ideas or recommendations on the types of maples that would be suitable for a small backyard?

Thanks,

pwk16
10-07-2004, 01:07 PM
The trees that you see around your neighborhood are most likely patented cultivars which have been developed by the nursery industry to exhibit certain characteristics such as shape, size, color, structure, or growth rate.
Your best bet would be to go to your favorite internet search engine and type in such search terms as:
japanese red maple tree nursery
acer palmatum tree nursery
acer atropurpureum tree nursery
Some specific varieties of columnar- or upright-shaped smaller maple trees to look for would be the "Globosum", "Stand Fast", "Brandywine", "New World", "Red Rocket", "Red Vase", "Appollo", or "Slavin's Upright", to name just a few. You can also contact your local nursery for information on newer cultivars that I may have overlooked.
The maple trees that we sell are grown from seed and, with the exception of the Japanese red maple, might become far too large for your requirements.
I hope this was of help.

Ellyssian
10-08-2004, 12:48 PM
I would think the Japanese maples would be your best bet.

I've got some red maples (some=50-150) on my property that grow up straight and narrow, but they got there in close competition, and aren't exactly that well off for it.

Although there are lots of tall, narrow trees (the Italian Cypress comes particularly to mind), they seem too unstable for my tastes - too much height, not enough width.

When I was last planning for a small lot, I think the only thing qualifying as a tree that I even considered was a Japanese maple. There are quite a lot of varieties available - "Bloodgood" is supposed to be particularly nice. I've planted two of the Japanese red maples from Arborday.org: one to grow to provide some summer shade for our air conditioner, the other just to look at from the porch!

Madmike09030
10-13-2004, 03:58 PM
Red maples turn a bright red.
Sugar maples turn orange from the top down.
There are maples in the wild whose leaves turn brown before they fall off, so those really wouldn't help that much. I really like pin oaks, those turn a bright red in the fall.

Toronado3800
10-14-2004, 12:34 AM
I love maples, the helicopters aren't that much trouble and the fall display can be excellent. Like mentioned a couple things need to be taken into consideration such as their potential size.

Down my street a row of silver maples lined the old creek. Per neighborhood verbal tradition the large ones are about the same age (50 - 60 years) and all are in decline. This could be from habitat change as the creek was "sewered in". One more sheltered in my back yard is thinning now also though. My OPINION on silver maples is they don't live exceptionally long, loose large branches during decline, but look good unless topped. I'm happy with mine as none are dangerously close to the house.

Crimson King Maple reportedly has the Bradford Pear problem and will likely loose branches from good winds.

There are numerous maple species and cultivars available. I'm sure you can find something appropriate.