Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/arborday/public_html/archive/index.php(545) : eval()'d code on line 2
dying trees [Archive] - Arbor Day Forum

PDA

View Full Version : dying trees

ovardeny
10-04-2004, 02:41 PM
Hello!

I recently moved out of state, and when doing so potted some baby pine trees that are of sentimental value. However, soon after the change in environment (they are now indoor facing a window), I noticed some needle discoloration and bugs. They now do not display new growth.

Any suggestions on how to save these trees?

Much appreciated!

pwk16
10-05-2004, 12:11 PM
Transplanting trees when they are not dormant is risky business. Also, roots need cooler soil temperatures than are found in pots. I would recommed planting them in the ground in a protected area (away from pets, deer, rabbits, mowers, traffic) and watering them occasionally. Here is a wonderful site on transplanting young trees.

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/plantsci/trees/f1147w.htm

saccharum
10-12-2004, 06:07 PM
I agree, indoor pots are a pretty difficult environment for most tree species - especially when you take a young tree from its outdoor environment. If you'd like to see them survive, your best bet is to get them into the ground.

I'd recommend keeping them in a sheltered location outside so that the fall temperatures will help push them into dormancy (assuming that you're in a climate similar to their native environment). Indoor temps will be very confusing to pines. You'll need to pay close attention to keep them from drying out or overheated. Then, late fall, get 'em in the ground!