Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/arborday/public_html/archive/index.php(545) : eval()'d code on line 2
Chestnut Trees [Archive] - Arbor Day Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Chestnut Trees

grits
09-30-2004, 09:50 PM
Is there any way, short of cutting them down, to keep chestnut trees from producing chestnuts?

We moved last year to a home that has three huge chestnut trees in the backyard. They are beautiful trees, and I would like to keep them. But when the burrs begin to fall it is impossible for people and/or pets to be in the backyard. Last year they continued to fall for about 60 days before all were gone. This year, thanks to Ivan, it won't be quite that long.

Any help will be appreciated.

pwk16
10-01-2004, 09:21 AM
I have done some research online and cannot find anything on pollination inhibitors or fertilization inhibitors. You can call your county extension office about this and they might have some ideas about what you could do. Have you considered harvesting them?

saccharum
10-12-2004, 07:14 PM
I assume you're talking about horsechestnut (Aesculus hipposcastanum)? It would be pretty remarkable to have 3 "huge" American chestnuts (Castanea dentata) that have survived the blight.

There is a product called Florel Fruit Eliminator that's supposed to prevent or reduce the production of fruits on trees. It requires a licensed applicator, and I've heard that the results are sometimes disappointing - but I notice that it's labelled for horsechestnut!

You might want to contact some local arborists to find out if they can make the application, and what their experiences have been with the results.

here's the manufacturer's page (pdf):
http://www.montereylawngarden.com/pdf/fruit-eliminator.pdf